Thursday, November 13, 2008

Batgirl goes to Berkeley... On Halloween?!

Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays as a child. How could it not be? Christmas was of course the number one holiday seeing as how it brought with it tons of amazing presents but Halloween was second. Free candy everywhere has a huge impact on a child. Along with the candy came the dressing up. I just loved the concept of a worldwide (or so I thought) dress up party. Plus it was the only day that I was allowed to wear crazy makeup outside and to school. Overall, it was pretty much the most exciting day of the school year.

Since the carefree days of elementary school have passed me by I have discovered that Halloween is not as easy as I once had thought. Back then, I would express what I wished to be and I knew that whether it was what I wanted to be or not… I would always have a costume and be absolutely adorable. Since high school I have discovered that the costume creation is not easy or fun. The older I get the less clothing costumes seem to consist of and I find myself in a store with lingerie and some sort of animal ears being called a costume. Since when was Halloween a Victoria’s Secret sponsored holiday? Things seemed to get less cool and more embarrassing as I went through high school. Dressing up was impossible and I got out of the habit because it took too much energy and courage to find a costume… or in my case make one… and to feel confident in it. I really missed the ability to wear inappropriate amounts of makeup that that day only allowed.



The last two Halloweens I was dealing with bigger issues than “what to wear?” I have gained a my confidence back and have learned not to care what other people think… if I wanna have fun, no one is going to stop me. I was invited to many parties this year and I decided that I was going to go no matter what. Plus it would be my last Californian Halloween for a while and I wanted it to be the best Halloween ever. The only problem was that I had to find a costume. Again I find myself back on the aisles of costumes that are either completely unattractive or cover nothing… haha so they were all unattractive! I was on my Aunt Wendy’s blog reading and thought of my cousin Grey, who is the biggest little Batman fan ever. This got me thinking and caused me to want to put in and watch Batman Begins. As I watched, I heard my favorite line… “Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.” It reminded me why Batman is my favorite superhero. It is not because he was bitten by a spider or was born with super abilities and had to be a hero… He chose to be one. He took the horrible things in his life and turned them into good deeds. Yes he may be motivated by revenge just a little bit but, he chose to be amazing none the less. How amazing is that? If I could be one person I would be Batman… I think we all could use a little Batman in our lives to help us stand up for what is right and true. So back to the point, I decided that I was going to be Batgirl. I am not yet ready to be Batwoman… I’m kind of still in training to be on my own completely and stand up against the world alone. I proceeded to make my costume for the Rodeo Club Halloween party and the Berkeley party. I felt confident because I loved who I was and I was fully clothed. I was surprised that I wasn’t as self conscious as I thought I’d be wearing black spandex pants in public.

I looked really good and everyone loved my costume :) I went to the Rodeo Club on Thursday night, which was fun but was not as half as fun as Berkeley was. Oh my goodness! Now I know why they only throw a party once a year. They decorated the institute building to the nines with Halloween stuff and had a haunted house on the third floor that was the theme of a creepy carnival… and it was creepy! I hate clowns! The DJ was amazing and we partied and danced the night away. I seemed to be very popular… guys would call for Batwoman to come over to them every time I entered a room. I thought they meant someone else at first until I realized that I was the only Bat_____ there… not even my Batman or Robin. There were tons of “Heath Ledger style” Jokers… I am guessing that it was the post popular costume this year. Along with the calling out to me came the picture taking. I felt like Mickey Mouse at Disneyland. Everyone was grabbing me and pulling me into random pictures with them. It made everyone laugh to think that there are now hundreds of pictures of me in my Batgirl costume with random guys floating about Facebook and Myspace. I danced the rest of the night away until the Police shut down. Apparently our party was “too loud.” Come on! You are shutting down a Mormon party? Seriously? Whatever, it was only about 10 minutes early by the time they talked to the Activities Committee Chairman and the news got to the DJ. We departed peacefully… and quietly… after the music got turned down and they ruined the night by ending with a slow song and all of the guys stood against the wall staring at us and refusing to ask us to dance… Seriously, that is why you can get married! All in all it was fantastic!



After, we headed down to a restaurant for some food where we got to experience the Berkeley locals at their finest. Truly I now believe that it is not the students that are crazy but the permanent residents. I honestly saw people for the first time who don’t save at all and have dread locks… ewww can someone else please bring me my food? And here in San Jose you see signs for the Presidential Candidates and Prop 8 everywhere… there you see ones for Measure K to legalize prostitution and signs for legalization of marijuana and to save parks and trees... Are those your biggest concerns? … I digress. After replenishing all of those lost calories, Tiffany and I then went down Greek row to finish our partying off at her boyfriend’s house but sadly, they were shut down soon after us. We headed for home about 2:30 am and made a little stop at Krispie Kreme along the way… Hey! We had to keep our blood sugar up so that we didn’t pass out and die in on the drive home. I finally reached home at 4 am promptly passed out. I guess the point I am trying to make is that Halloween was awesome. It will be my last one in California for a while and it was the best I have ever had :)

Special thanks to the Hofheins boys: Without you guys… I might still be trying to figure out a costume ;)

3 comments:

Allyson said...

Too modest...as usual.

Emily said...

I have no idea what you are talking about Ally. haha I guess I could have worn less clothing ;)

wendybird said...

The Hofheins boys graciously accept your thanks and are ready and willing to inspire you on to your next costumed adventure. Everyday is Halloween here you know. Glad you had fun!